Money makes the world go round.
And the only people who insist otherwise don’t have any.
This uniquely personal selection of my favorite money quotes is akin to my own virtual time capsule documenting the struggle I faced when I began to train myself to stop thinking like a poor person. I always felt like a loser being resentful and envious of other people’s money and success. And I began to realize I was never going to have money without understanding that acquiring it is based entirely on our innermost beliefs and desires towards abundance and achievement.
Warning: You will find no condescending, loathsome platitudes nor trite cliches based on the bubblegum pop culture beliefs of the penniless masses. Instead, you will find startling and refreshing honesty about money and our universal human lust to be wealthy.
1) “Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” – Oscar Wilde
2) “Money may not buy happiness, but I’d rather cry in a Jaguar than on a bus.” – Francoise Sagan
3) “You can be young without money, but you can’t be old without it.” – Tennessee Williams
4) “I have no taste for either poverty or honest labor, so writing is the only recourse. ” Hunter S. Thompson
5) “The man who does more than he is paid for will soon be paid for more than he does.” – Napolean Hill
6) “I love money. I love everything about it. I bought some pretty good stuff. Got me a $300 pair of socks. Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too.” – Steve Martin
7) “Money isn’t everything… but it ranks right up there with oxygen.” – Rita Davenport
8) “The two most beautiful words in the English language are ‘cheque enclosed’ – Dorothy Parker
9) “It is a kind of spiritual snobbery that makes people think they can be happy without money.” – Albert Camus
10) “Young people, nowadays, imagine that money is everything.
Yes, murmured Lord Henry, settling his button-hole in his coat; and when they grow older they know it.”―
11) “When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I’m old I know that it is.” – Oscar Wilde
12) “Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.” – Ambrose Bierce
13) “Money does not buy you happiness, but lack of money certainly buys you misery.” – Daniel Kahneman
14) “The money you make is a symbol of the value you create.” – Idowu Koyenikan
15) “Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That’s how rich I want to be.” – Rita Rudner
16) “I used to have a drug problem, now I make enough money.” – David Lee Roth
17) “Having money isn’t everything, not having it is.” – Kanye West
18) “It’s amazing. The moment you show cash, everyone knows your language.” – Aravind Adiga
19) “Money follows art. Money wants what it can’t buy. Class and talent. And remember while there’s a talent for making money, it takes real talent to know how to spend it.” – Candace Bushnell
20) “Lack of money is the root of all evil.” – George Bernard Shaw
21) “There is enough dough in the world to make bread for us all to eat together.” – Habeeb Akande
22) “I got 99 problems. And money could solve all 99 of them.” – Unknown
23) “Life is game. Money is how we keep score.” – Ted Turner
24) “If you don’t find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die.” – Warren Buffett
25) “You can never have too much money.” – Jess C. Scott
26) “If you want to make a million you don’t have to understand money, what you have to understand is people’s fears about money.” – William Gaddis Jr.
27) “That is one of the bitter curses of poverty; it leaves no right to be generous.” ―
30) “12% of people marry because they are completely in love. 88% of people marry just so they are then liable for only half of their rent.” ―
31) “Writing is turning one’s worst moments into money.” ―
32) “Buffett does enjoy being a billionaire, but in offbeat ways. As he put it, though money cannot change your health or how many people love you, it lets you be in ‘more interesting environments.” ―
35) “Sex is like money; only too much is enough.” ―
36) “You can make EXCUSES and earn SYMPATHY, OR, You can make MONEY and earn ADMIRATION. The choice is always yours…” ―
37) “Money. The ultimate motivation. The ultimate way of keeping score.” ―
38) “Any flights would be taken business class, since Roger thought that the whole point of having money, if it had to be summed up in a single point, which it couldn’t, but if you had to, the whole point of having a bit of money was not to have to fly scum class.” ―
39) “Money results from production and nothing else. Production is a result of a decision. Decisions are the results of your viewpoint. So, money is entirely the result of the viewpoint you take.” ―
40) “There is nothing so degrading as the constant anxiety about one’s means of livelihood. I have nothing but contempt for the people who despise money. They are hypocrites or fools. Money is like a sixth sense without which you cannot make a complete use of the other five. Without an adequate income half the possibilities of life are shut off. The only thing to be careful about is that you do not pay more than a shilling for the shilling you earn. You will hear people say that poverty is the best spur to the artist. They have never felt the iron of it in their flesh. They do not know how mean it makes you. It exposes you to endless humiliation, it cuts your wings, it eats into your soul like a cancer. It is not wealth one asks for, but just enough to preserve one’s dignity, to work unhampered, to be generous, frank, and independent. I pity with all my heart the artist, whether he writes or paints, who is entirely dependent for subsistence upon his art.” ―
41) “The next generation poverty will be caused by ignorance and fear of today’s opportunities, not lack of money or bad government policies. Think deeply.” ―
42) “Happiness is free, but you have to pay for everything else.” ―
43) “Many of us get caught up in our own worldview and lock up our own potential. Anyone who can break free of this can fully use their potential to become rich.” ―
44) “The hatred of money is generally a subconscious attempt to alleviate the pain of being broke or poor.” ―
45) “If you feel comfortable and happy about money, you and the universe will connect on that comfortable wavelength. The universe takes the emotional energy you give it and reflects your comfort back at you like a mirror so that your financial situation becomes comfortable as well.” ―
46) “There’s something that happens to people when they see the opportunity to make money. Greed flavored with desperation, especially at a poker table, gives rise to a moment when the eyes change, the humanity vanishes, and the players become bloodthirsty, flat-eyed predators.” ―
47) “Whatever a man fears he will worship. If you fear poverty, you will eventually worship money.” ―
48) “I like having money, I’ll admit. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.” ―
49) “The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets” ― J.D.
50) “We are all slaves to money & greed.” ―
There you have it, 50 of my most favorite quotes on money. Which was your favorite?